An international uniform method for identifying products meant for commerce interchange is called the Harmonized System (HS Code).
The World Customs Organization, which is in charge of managing and maintaining this system and collaborating with national customs administrations in every country, established the six-digit international HS Code.
Even if the HS Code is internationally defined, the customs authority or the relevant local entity in the country has the real jurisdiction to extend the basic six-digit code with additional digits in accordance with local laws and regulations.
An example of the HS Code
The first two digits of the worldwide HS Code relate to the chapter, the next two digits refer to the group within the chapter, and the last two digits correspond to a more thorough description of the products. Each digit conveys a certain aspect of the categorization.
The following is the global standard HS Code for “Green tea (not fermented)”:
Group of Coffee, Tea, Mate, and Spices in Chapter 9 09.02: Tea more details Green tea (not fermented), 9.2.10
Why is the HS Code important?
- The HS code is used to register items on the Saber electronic platform.
- A product’s HS code specifies which technical rules are applicable to it and which requirements must be satisfied.
- The definition of the HS Code aids in reducing misunderstanding during the customs clearance and certificate of conformity issuance processes.
- The Saudi Standards, Metrology, and Quality Organization (SASO) regularly evaluates the HS codes given on Saber, therefore it’s important to regularly double-check HS Codes to get the appropriate code for your items.
The Saudi HS Code
Twelve digits make up the entire form of the HS Code in Saudi Arabia, with the first six being the same as the international code and the last six being added by the authorities. The governing body in charge of maintaining and updating the HS Codes for goods destined for sale in the kingdom is the Zakat, Tax, and Customs Authority.
The authority works in conjunction with the Saudi Standards, Metrology, and Quality Organization to define the HS Codes for the benefit of the recipients and to relate the HS Codes to the technical requirements, conformity rules, and applicable standards and regulations.
How to get the Saudi HS Code?
You may find the HS Code for the item you want to sell in the kingdom market in one of two methods.
Through the e-services offered on the website of the Zakat, Tax, and Customs Authority:
- Check out the webpage for the Zakat, Tax, and Customs Authority.
- From the main menu, choose (Integrated Tariff).
- Click and scroll downward (Search in Tariff).
- Enter a term in the search window that best describes the item you want to look for, then click (search).
- The appropriate items, together with their HS codes and customs charges, will show up in the results.
- Use the advanced search to perform a category search if the desired product is not among the search results.
- The results according to the category will be shown.
Through Saber Electronic Platform:
- From the main menu, choose Hs Codes.
- The appropriate results will show, including the pertinent items and their HS Codes, applied technical rules, and necessary compliance certifications.
- Add a term that characterizes your product or its category in the Search field and (click search).
Usages of HS Code
- Sort physical items that are ready for export.
- Finish creating the invoices and compliance certifications needed for export shipments.
- Establish import duty rates.
- Establish if a product qualifies for a free trade agreement’s favourable tariffs.
- Create studies on market statistics and commerce.